If you love pho, but are looking for a more animal friendly or heart-healthy version of this Vietnamese cuisine staple, then look no further. This vegan pho recipe is definitely one for the books!
The 411 On Your Vegan Pho
This recipe requires 8 hours of prep and two hours of cooking time. In total, it will require 10 hours and serves 6.
Get Your Ingredients
This delicious vegan pho recipe calls for:
20 dried shiitake mushrooms
1 large daikon peeled and cut into 1 inch thick coins
10 cups of water
1 tbsp of coriander seed
5-6 pods of cardamom
1 tsp of cloves
2 tbsp olive oil
1 package of pho noodles
4 medium onions
3 inches of ginger that has been halved and pounded with a pestle
5-6 pieces of star anise
1 tsp fennel
2 sticks of cassia bark
1 pint of cremini mushrooms
salt to taste
1 400g package of tofu which has been drained and cut into 1 inch segments
Serve Your Vegan Pho With These Fresh Ingredients
- coriander leaves
- thai basil leaves
- bean sprouts
- hoisin sauce and sriracha to taste
How Cook Vegan Pho
- At least 8 hours before cooking, soak your shiitake mushrooms until they are hydrated. Rinse and drain the mushrooms 2-3 times and set them aside.
- Prep the onions and daikon before caramelizing them in a pan for roughly ten minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, ginger, and water. Bring them to a boil, lower to a simmer and cover. Let them simmer for at least an hour, but the longer it simmers the better the flavor will be.
- About 15 minutes before serving add all of your spices to a mesh bag or a sieve. Lower the spices into the pot, but be careful not to lose them in the broth.
- While these spices are cooking into the soup, cook the pho noodles until they are al dente. Drain and segment them into servings before they can cool and clump together.
- Remove spices from the pot and add the tofu, as well as salt to taste. Gently stir and remove the onion and daikon from the broth.
- Pour the broth over the noodles, garnish with coriander leaves, thai basil, bean sprouts, lime, hoisin sauce, sriracha, and sliced daikon if you want and your vegan pho will be ready to eat!
You Can Find Everything You Need To Make Scrumptious And Healthy Vegan Pho At Lotte Plaza Market
Lotte Plaza Market is your one-stop shop for all of your Asian groceries. With more than 10 locations in Maryland and Virginia, this growing market is always expanding and opening new markets to better serve our customers. Opened since 1976, our goal has always been to provide the best customer service and groceries to our customers. For answers to all of your questions, email us at LottePlaza.com.