Bibimbap is one of the most well known Korean dishes there is and people around the world are more than just familiar with it – they love it too. This dish is a Korean classic that looks beautiful on your plate. One of the benefits of bibimbap is its adaptability; whether you have the palate of a champ and can rock the spicy foods or your palate is a little more sensitive, you can adapt this iconic dish to your liking.
This recipe is rich in vegetables, containing cucumbers, spinach, bean sprouts, shiitake mushrooms, carrots, and zucchini. You can also choose to include fewer veggies when you add proteins like beef and eggs. Or you could skip the beef entirely, and only add eggs. Don’t hesitate to give this versatile and famous Korean meal a try in your own home tonight. Here you will find all the ingredients you will need, and how to prepare the ingredients once you have them all assembled.
Ingredients for Korean Bibimbap
1 large cucumber, thinly sliced into strips
1.5 cups of spinach, parboiled with excess water squeezed out
1.5 cup bean sprouts parboiled with excess water squeezed out
4 shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and sliced
2 carrots julienned
1 zucchini, thinly sliced into strips
2 cups medium grain Korean or Japanese Rice
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1/2 pound meat
Fried egg as topping
How You Make Korean Bibimbap
- Cook the rice on the stove or in a rice cooker. If you are more health conscious, brown rice is a suitable alternative, but be advised it can affect the flavor.
- Soak the cucumber strips in salt water for 20 minutes and then drain.
- Season spinach with 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp sesame oil, and a small dash of sesame seeds.
- Season bean sprouts with 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp sesame oil, and a small dash of sesame seeds.
- Saute carrots, mushrooms, and zucchini with some salt.
- Place your cooked rice in a large bowl and arrange your vegetables on top.
- If you desire, top it off by putting your beef or egg in the center.
- Serve the Korean bibimbap with small bowls of red pepper paste and sesame oil and mix in desired amounts of paste and oil.
Get All Your Asian Groceries at Lotte Plaza Market
Lotte Plaza Market is your one-stop shop for all of your Korean and Asian grocery needs. With more than ten locations in Maryland and Virginia, this growing market is always expanding and opening new markets to better serve our customers. Open since 1976, our goal has always been to provide the best customer service and groceries to our customers. For answers to all of your questions, email us at lotteplaza.com.