With temperatures plummeting this winter season, you’re probably looking for a way to keep warm. Why not cook something up with gochujang? Gochujang is a thick, Korean style chili paste made from chili peppers, fermented soybeans and salt. It has a savory, spicy, and sweet flavor combination that’s incredibly versatile and especially agreeable with meats and grilled/roasted veggies. Recipes with gochujang can vary a great deal. Here are a few unusual uses for Korean gochujang that you might want to try yourself.
- Bloody Mary – Whisk about a teaspoon or so of gochujang into tomato juice and then use it as a base for your favorite bloody mary cocktail.
- Corn on the cob – Spice up your corn on the cob by smearing a liberal amount of gochujang over freshly grilled corn on the cob. Or try mixing together equal amounts of gochujang with softened butter for your spread.
- Steak rub – Before grilling, smear a generous amount of gochujang over your steak flank and let stand at room temperature.
- Vinaigrette – Whisk cider, rice vinegar, apricot jam and gochujang together in equal parts. Use for robust salads and grilled vegetables.
- Grilled cheese – Add some heat to your favorite grilled cheese. Smear gochujang on thickly sliced bread and top with cheese and a second slice of bread. Butter the outsides and then toast in a skillet until cheese has melted.
- Hot dogs – Gochujang makes a great topping for hot dogs. Mix in equal amounts with ketchup and then add a small layer to your hot dog. For the complete Korean experience, add a heap of kimchee to the bun.
- Pulled pork – Thin out the gochujang first with water, cider vinegar and a bit of honey. Then toss it with the shredded or pulled pork and serve as sliders. You’ve created the perfect “Korean Barbecue”.
- Burgers – Before cooking, mix a few tablespoons of gochujang into the ground meat you use for burgers, meatballs and meatloaf.
- Falafel – Combine gochujang with diced cucumber and plain greek yogurt, then use as a condiment for your falafel and lamb burgers.
Asian Groceries from Lotte Plaza Market
Lotte Plaza Market is your one-stop shop for all of your Korean and Asian grocery needs. With more than 10 locations in Maryland and Virginia, this growing market is always expanding and opening new markets to better serve our customers. Opened since 1976, our goal has always been to provide the best customer service and groceries to our customers. For answers to all of your questions, email us at LottePlaza.com.